Did you know that Tanzania’s Serengeti Plains are witness to a migration of nearly two million wildebeest and zebra, every year, one of the oldest and last great land migrations on the planet? The Great Migration, a circular grazing path determined by the availability of food, prompts the herd to head north towards Kenya’s Maasai Mara in the spring and return to Tanzania’s Serengeti when the rains return in the autumn. Whether travelers have been to Africa previously or this is their first visit, the “Great Migration” as a bucket-list event should not be missed!
Classic Escapes, a family-owned boutique travel company specializing in nature and cultural journeys, is offering two exclusive departures of the 10-Day Tanzania: Treasures of the Land of Kilimanjaro tour through their Great Escapes program.
This competitively priced trip begins at $3,995* per person, double, and includes superior accommodations, all meals on safari in Tanzania, all wildlife viewing by land cruiser, gratuities, park entry fees and emergency evacuation insurance. International airfare is not included.
The itinerary, which visits Arusha, Lake Manyara National Park, Serengeti National Park, Oldupai Gorge and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area has two guaranteed departure dates: May 19-28 and November 4-13, 2018**, though additional departure dates can be added upon request. Optional post-extension to Zanzibar and hot air balloon safari excursion in Tanzania may be added for an additional price.
Highlights of the Tanzania Itinerary Include:
- Enjoy spectacular game drives in Lake Manyara National Park, where the variety in salinity levels attracts over 350 diverse bird species (including flamingos) and the nearby woodlands shelter the elusive tree-climbing lions, the signature species of the park;
- Explore the spectacular Serengeti National Park, which protects the most varied collection of terrestrial wildlife and witnesses the great migration of over a million wildebeest and other herbivores in search of grazing grounds every year.
- Stop at Oldupai Gorge, where Louis and Mary Leakey uncovered human fossils in 1959, along with the remains of prehistoric elephant, sheep and ostrich;
- Spend most of the day on the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater, (a World Heritage Site, extinct volcano and the largest unbroken caldera in the world), where the Maasai regularly bring their cattle to graze;
- Enjoy a guided tour of the Shanga Shangaa, (meaning “Beads Amazing” in Swahili), a small business employing 42 disabled, mute and deaf people based near Arusha.
For more information and to view the full itinerary, please visit: http://www.classicescapes.com/content/classic-escapes-presents-great-escape-tanzania
*Price increases with optional add-ons such as the post-excursion to Zanzibar (from $1,695 per person, double) and change of seasons. Single supplements are also available upon request.
**Additional dates for 2019 will be available soon.